What is the base system for dating
Eaker Air Force Base was located on 3,778 acres of land between the communities of Gosnell and Blytheville in Mississippi County.
The air field was used as the Southeastern Training Command’s flight training school.
In the early 1950s, the Strategic Air Command (SAC) approved a plan to convert the former air field into an air base.
Blytheville Air Force Base was officially christened as a single-mission base on July 19, 1955.
Approximately one-third of the land was handed over to state and local authorities.
The withdrawal of the last 3,500 airmen in December 1992 had an immediate impact on Mississippi County.